Cadaver based research using computer navigation demonstrated that fluted drills and pins result in unnecessary bone loss and imprecision.
Precision Threaded Pins Improve Accuracy and Safety: The sharp tip and precision threads improve accuracy, decrease bone loss, and penetrate only one cortex
- Threaded Stop Pins combine the features and benefits of precision pins with a small, beveled stop. This combination has many advantages
- accurately secure small, MIS cutting blocks against bone surfaces
- eliminate the need for the surgeon to hold small cutting blocks in place
- decrease the need for exposure
- improve accuracy of cuts by reducing block migration during cuts
The accuracy of pin placement leads to more accurate bone cuts and component position.
*The Accuracy of Standard Pins versus Precision Pins for Fixation of Knee Replacement Cutting Blocks Joshua D. Lindsey MD, Craig McAllister MD, Paul Manner MD, and Jeff Stepanian PA-C